Friday, May 26

The Hours

"Someone has to die so that the others can value their lives"

Being holidays I hire a few light hearted movies to have playing while I'm at home so that the silence doesn't eat away at me while being alone.
So anyhow I decided to get out the movie The Hours , seemed to be a bit of something interesting.

It was heavy.
But also excellent.
Thought provoking.
But definately is not for all.

The above quote is from the climax of the movie, just after the man dying a painfully slow death of AIDs tips sideways, out of a 6th story windowsill. He doesnt survive (obviously).

Based on Virginia Woolf's book 'Mrs Dalloway', and two women (one reading and one living the story) one simply watches a day in their lives unfold.
It's slow, is not obvious in what it is saying (when is Woolf ever?!) but it speaks silently the lives of so many (women espeacially) living life in a horrible empty pain, which in itself is a scary thought.

So if you want to understand what goes unsoken this is definately worth the time. But be warned - this is a bunt cake when you're expecting a sponge.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hey dude,
I really liked The Hours, I also found it thought provoking - and heavier than I expected.

I've just borrowed "Mrs Dalloway" from a friend and will probably start reading it tomorrow. Have you read it?

20:57  
Blogger Sara Jayne said...

nah not yet, kinda got enough heavy reading with the medical texts so dont have too much head space. enough death and life changing things goin on in my life too.... maybe at xmas when all things are merry :)

17:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home